The BLAZER is holding a writing challenge inviting students to share their perspectives on the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Students may submit content in the following categories: poetry, fiction, non-fiction, topic essay and opinion using 500 words or less.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO SUBMIT OR BE PUBLISHED. ONLY STUDENTS/INDIVIDUALS IN THE STIPULATED AGE RANGE ARE ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT.
Inebriated Blazer Private Limited (“BLAZER”), a youth oriented platform that focuses on content developed by and for young people, will conduct a writing challenge for students aged between 12 – 24 years old.
Description of the Challenge
The Arete Challenge (“ARETE”) is an opportunity whereby students submit a written response of 500 words or less responding to a selected theme. All entries will be published given they adhere to the challenge rules.
The Challenge is open to young people between 12-24 years-old, current senior school (form 1-6) students, recent graduates, or student enrolled in college or trade school.
The writing submission MUST BE 500 words or less in length. The BLAZER and its BOV reserve the right to publish/decline any written submission that in its sole judgment is greater than 500 words. The written document must directly address the theme of the week. All written documents must be submitted in English and in one of the following formats: PDF, Word, Plain Text. A completed and submitted document is final and may not be modified or edited further and becomes property of the BLAZER with accreditation to the originator.
By submitting an entry, each Participant agrees to the Rules of the Challenge.
Writing Submission Period
The “Writing Submission Period” begins every Monday and ends at 11:59 p.m. (CAT) every Sunday (“Challenge Period”). All written submissions in Plain Text, PDF and or Word doc format must be received during the Writing Challenge Submission Period.
As submissions are received by BLAZER, they will be examined by the Board of Volunteers (BOV) to determine if they are consistent with the Writing Requirements and suitable to be seen by all ages. Entries that pass the BOV will be posted on the Arete Challenge Gallery Page after the Writing Submission Period has ended.
Reviewing & Publishing
The BLAZER will examine each written submission before it is posted to the Arete Challenge page to determine if its content is consistent with the Requirements and suitable to be seen by all. BOV will consist of dynamic representatives from society. All decisions of the BLAZER are final, binding, and non-appealable.
There are no prizes for this challenge.
Representations, Warranties, and Covenants of Participant(s)
As conditions of entry into the Challenge and by entering a written document, with respect to each such document, the Participants warrant and represent that:
They own all rights to the entered document, including, without limitation, that they have obtained permission from each person who appears to have authored the written copy, or in the cases of minors, the minors’ parents or legal guardians, to grant the rights to blazer described in the rules; and the written document:
- was originally created by the participants;
- does not infringe the intellectual property, contract, privacy, moral, publicity, or other right of any other person,
- does not violate any law, regulation, or network standard;
- has not been entered in any other challenge; and
- has not been published previously in any medium.
In addition, each Participant:
- Hereby unconditionally and irrevocably grants to BLAZER, an irrevocable, world-wide, fully paid-up, non-exclusive, sublicensable license in the submitted documents and its Without limiting its rights, BLAZER may reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, distribute, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, create derivative works of (as such term in defined under Copyright Act and Neighbouring Rights Act), exhibit, and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used), the document and the name, address, image, voice, likeness, statements, biographical material related to the document, (in each case, as submitted or as edited/modified in any way by BLAZER, in BLAZER’s sole discretion), as well as any additional photographic images, portraits, interviews or other materials relating to each Participant or the document and arising out of his/her participation in this Challenge (with or without using the Participant’s name) (collectively, the “Additional Materials”) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from the Participant or any other person. The foregoing rights are, collectively, the “License”.
- Forever waives all right of privacy, right of publicity, intellectual property rights, and all other legal or moral rights that may preclude the BLAZER’s use of the document or Additional Materials in accordance with the License, or would require the Participant’s permission for BLAZER to use them for any purpose, and agrees never to sue or assert any claim against BLAZER, its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents, licensees, or anyone else’s use of the Video and/or the Additional Materials pursuant to the Challenge.
- Hereby releases and shall indemnify and hold BLAZER, and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees and their respective officers, directors, agents, co-branders, and other partners, and any of their employees and agents (collectively, the “Indemnitees”) harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees, whether incurred as the result of a third party claim or a claim to enforce the Rules), costs, and liabilities (including settlements) brought or asserted by any third party against any Indemnitee(s) due to or arising directly or indirectly out of:
- the document or Additional Materials;
- Participant’s conduct during and in connection with the Challenge, including, but not limited to, infringement or misappropriation of any intellectual property rights or violation of any right of publicity or privacy, defamation, or other improper conduct;
- any claim(s) that any commercial, advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of any Indemnitee infringes on the rights of Participant’s work as contained in any submission or any other right of
Participants in the Challenge agree to the Official Rules (“Rules”) and Terms & Conditions. THEREFORE, ALL PARTICIPANTS SHOULD READ THESE CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING THE CHALLENGE TO MAKE SURE THE PARTICIPANT UNDERSTANDS AND AGREES TO THEM. If a Participant submits a written document to enter the Challenge, all of the Participant(s) who authored the writing will be deemed to have consented and agreed to the Rules. Participants may not submit written documents to the Challenge unless they agree to the Rules. The Rules are a binding legal agreement between Participants and BLAZER with respect to the Challenge.
All Participants must have a valid e-mail address, phone number, and mailing address – alternatively, use a guardian’s details. By participating, Participants agree to the Rules and the interpretation of the Rules by the BOV, whose interpretation is final, binding, and non-appealable in all respects.
No submissions or other materials will be returned. The BLAZER may, in its sole discretion, remove, delete and/or decline any submission deemed to be inappropriate, threaten the safety of the Participant(s) or otherwise noncompliant. If for any reason the Challenge is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation, infection by computer virus, software bug, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure, unsatisfactory submissions, or any other cause which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Challenge in the BLAZER’s sole judgment, the BLAZER reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or terminate the Challenge. Further, the BLAZER reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any Participant or other individual who the BLAZER determines:
- tampered or attempted to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Challenge;
- violated any Rule; or
- acted in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
The Challenge is governed by the laws of Zimbabwe. Any dispute which cannot be amicably resolved regarding the Challenge, including any document, shall be resolved in the state courts located in Harare, Zimbabwe and Participant and anyone claiming through Participant hereby consents to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of such courts in such event
Participant agrees that personally identifying information (“PII”), including, but not limited to, name, phone number, and email address, may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used for the purposes of conducting and administering the Challenge as the BLAZER deems proper.