plays a central role in peopleâ€™s lives. Its importance is evident in the
amount of time people spend watching television, surfing the World Wide Web
HOW TO ACHIEVE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS ON PROMOTING PUBLIC ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND CIVIC ENGAGEMENT
1. Participation: The role of independent and pluralistic media in fostering participation is critical as the media report on issues
2. Human Rights: By reporting and denouncing cases of human rights violations, a free and open media can increase awareness among citizens about their.
3. The rule of law: The media have a crucial function as the sector of society most able to promote vigilance towards the rule of law.
4. Anti-corruption, Transparency and Accountability: It is important for governments to protect the media that report on corrupt practices
5. Poverty reduction: An open and free media can play an important role in the fight against poverty.